Monday, December 31, 2007

End of the Year

First of all Happy New Year to all the readers. Most of you must be thinking what kind of a jobless loser would write 365 posts in a year. (A lot are links and copy-paste posts but still). And what is he doing posting Fassbinder links on the New Year's eve? Well...

This year was a good year for me in the sense that nothing bad really happened, which now that I think about it, means that nothing interesting really happened. I spent the entire year living by the negative principle, saying a big fat NO to everything, and in the process relegating "life" itself to the margins. I know one can't live an entire life in this pseudo-Vanaprastha mode and also that the ordinary, idiotic and messy problems of personal and professional life that living in the reality necessarily entails will not go away by just ignoring them. I am a little pessimistic about the next year on this account but as the saying goes, we will cross the bridge when we get there. For now the dispatches will continue.

9 comments:

Szerelem said...

Happy New Year!

And we love your posts so 365 of them is a very good thing :D

Alok said...

Hey, same to you and good to hear that. Specially from people like you who are always too busy to blog regularly :)

Space Bar said...

happy new year! :D

Szerelem said...

Not nusy - just lazy!! and I don't have very many interesting things to write about either!

Szerelem said...

ummmm *busy*

Cheshire Cat said...

"I know one can't live an entire life in this pseudo-Vanaprastha mode"

Why not? It's an admirable way to live. Just requires courage (not to be affected by the peer pressure)...

- said...

Happy New Year, Alok!

I also enjoy your blog very much, and try to keep up with it-- as my own life and blog changes dramatically, it's been one thing which I enjoy reading and admire your continued dedication to, while I've found myself temporarily burned out on writing anything insightful about lit/film, and I think you're doing good and very valuable work-- I love it when brilliant people are thinking and academic outside of the academy, and I think it's a public service to help link up, think about, and present in a way which is accessible to the masses rather than relegated to a select few. So, thanks!

vics said...

I wish you a Happy New Year !!!
same for your wonderful blog ...

this may seem a bit noisy, but I trust you will like it ...
it is such an appropriate
treat ...

Alok said...

thanks everybody and happy new year to all, whatever that means...

cat: yes courage. sometimes I just think I am losing out on experiences, at least of a certain kind, that's all.

js: I am so glad to hear that. That will be my motivation for at least a few more months :)

seherazada: thanks for the motivation to you too. and thanks for the wonderful video too. I love that scene, it is one of my favourites.