Sunday, April 06, 2008

George Steiner Interview

A fantastic interview of George Steiner, who surprisingly not only seems quite upbeat but is also very accessible in what he says. Very different to the image of a mandarin given to gloomy pronouncements about the modern world that I had in my mind after reading a few bits and pieces from here and there. Though the part where he lists his lecture topics made me laugh a little.

There is part one on the same site too in which he talks about his personal life. Link via comment on This Space.

4 comments:

Roxana said...

Thank you for this, it's interesting stuff. Do you know this review of "My unwritten books"? made me laugh :-) http://books.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,332118170-110738,00.html

Roxana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What is the poster behind Steiner's shoulder of?? What a weird image.

Alok said...

roxana: hi, and thanks for the link. Just had a good laugh reading it. Being a bookworm isn't so hopeless then.. but then for an *average* bookworm it is :)

anonymous: oh yes, I hadn't noticed it before. Agree it is quite weird... May be some Japanese stuff. I have no clue..