Friday, September 23, 2005

W G Sebald's Vertigo


This is the most recent book I have finished reading. I will not bore you with what I think of the book (it is brilliant, by the way) but will just suggest you to get a copy of the book and start reading. There are many excellent reviews and articles on the internet about Sebald. This one in partcular was really good.

So who is W. G. Sebald, this peculiar writer who resurrects figures from the past only to follow them like an undertaker to their deaths; this connoisseur of eccentrics and madmen, of the detritus of history; this poet and swindler who, according to all accounts, doubles as a professor of languages somewhere in the east of England? Whoever he may be, all we can say for sure is that he is restless, and we can only wait until he briefly appears to us again, like one of those phantom creatures rarely sighted, mythical, and easily frightened away.


Nicole Krauss, who wrote the review, is herself a novelist. Her most recent novel The History of Love was recently published. And she is quite good-looking! Read this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aditya Bidikar said...

If you liked Vertigo, you should read both of Sebald's other works: The Emigrants and The Rings of Saturn. Fabulous, I assure you.

Aditya Bidikar said...

PS: Sebald died in 2001, so these three are his only books, at least the only ones translated into English.

Alok said...

Thanks Aditya. I have read The Rings of Saturn and I am halfway through Austerlitz. And I am, of course, a big fan of Sebald. I will definitely pick up The Emigrants as soon as I get a chance.

I have also read his collection of essays called The Natural of Destruction (which I didn't appreciate much).

Curiously even after his death, his books keep appearing almost every year. Last year, there was a poetry collection and this year his collection of book reviews Campo Santo was released.

Alok said...

Oops! I meant Natural History of Destruction :)