Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dictator Novel

The wikipedia entry for The Latin American Dictator Novel has been extensively revised and contains lots of information now. According to the talk page of the entry the revisions were done as a course assignment by students of University of British Columbia. What an excellent idea! Individual entries like the one on Miguel Angel Asturias' The President are also excellent. I didn't quite like it when I read it a few months back but the wikipedia article makes me feel as if I didn't pay enough attention. I had also left Augusto Roa Bastos' I, The Supreme in the middle completely exhausted but the article makes me excited about tackling it again. Surprisingly, my personal favourite of the dictator novels Gabriel Garcia Marquez's The Autumn of the Patriarch is left unattended. However, the entries for Mario Vargas Llosa's The Feast of the Goat and Marquez's other novel The General in his Labyrinth (which I have not read yet) are again extensively revised. Overall I think it is a great example of internet and the collaborative interaction that it enables at its best.

No comments: